A note for those not consumed by efficiency worries

Ruud Harmsen ruud at targon.UUCP
Fri Mar 23 22:54:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar22.072712.10902 at diku.dk> jensting at skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:

>	MAKE THE THING WORK, THEN MAKE IT FAST.

True.  But only with one very important footnote:

While making the thing just work, do consider performance, and know where and
how you might want to optimise later.
If in the design of a programme or system you totally disregard all
performance issues, you might have to rebuild large parts from scratch,
and/or make the whole thing totally incomprehensible when optimisizing.

I've seen things like that happen, and I can tell you it's a tragic sight
to watch.  A much better approach is to have the spots for optimization
marked and planned, so it is easy to fulfill, will be really effective
and does not violate the original design.