ADAwars

Jeffrey M. Schweiger schweige at cs.nps.navy.mil
Thu Mar 15 02:17:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar14.061135.25490 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> srg at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) writes:
>FLAME ON !!!  (Remember The FF)
>Ada get the F??? outta here.  If the damn lang were half of what the DOD
>purports it to be, Star Wars (space weapons etc. not Lucas Mania) would
>be finished and perfect.  See how well it works?

Steve -

While I think that the "my computer language is better than your computer"
wars are starting to be a bit too much, I also think your comment to be
somewhat inappropriate, and certainly not conducive to productive discussions.

The 'jury will be still out' for quite a while as to how well Ada works.  My
personal observations from three years in command and control systems planning
work for Navy, is that is at least "half of what the DOD purports it to be" as
you stated above, if not a great deal more so.  Until a couple of years ago,
most Navy tactical systems I was aware of were coded in assembler, FORTRAN,
CMS-2 and BASIC.  Ada may have even reached the "Fleet" in an operational system
before C did.

Both C and Ada have their uses, applications and places, and I expect both
languages to be in use for a long time.  As a programmer, I will choose Ada
for certain programs and C for others (and I have programmed in both).

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige at cs.nps.navy.mil