problems/risks due to programming language

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Mar 3 23:03:46 AEST 1990

In article <2568 at castle.ed.ac.uk> nick at lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>>Modern
>>C is a strongly-typed language by any reasonable definition,
>
>Could you give me a reference to the type semantics?

ANSI X3.159 (I think that's the correct number) defines all the semantics
of C.  Publication is imminent.

"Strongly typed" and "has a mathematically formal definition of type
semantics" are two entirely different concepts, in case the latter was
what you were thinking of.  As far as I know, nobody has yet produced
a formal definition of C.  It is possible, although painful, to formally
define non-strongly-typed languages.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu