C Community's Cavalier Attitude On Software Reliability

Larry A. Shurr shurr at cbnews.ATT.COM
Thu Mar 1 00:29:48 AEST 1990

In article <10529 at alice.UUCP> dmr at alice.UUCP (Dennis Ritchie) writes:
>Wolfe, I gather, intends to construct a case against C by grepping
>for titillating phrases in the BUGS section of his manual.

Hmmm... Perhaps Wolfe is right, the C community (whatever that is) should
clean up its act.  Let's clean up those manuals by removing those pesky
"BUGS" sections and rewrite them, liberally using phrases such as "error-
free," "advanced software engineering features," and the like.

Yeh.  That's the ticket.  If only the C community would clean up its act,
then there would be no more problems.  The world's ills are caused by C
programmers.  After all, everyone knows that the No. 7 signalling network
would not have failed on M.L.K. day if the software had been written in
(pick one) Pascal, Modula-2, Eiffel, etc...

regards, Larry

Hi Randy!
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las at att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave