Language wars (was Re: 48 forgeries)

Walter Rowe rowe at cme.nist.gov
Sat Mar 24 02:07:17 AEST 1990

>>>>> On 22 Mar 90 08:29:01 GMT, wyle at inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) said:

Mitchell> C is just too damn "hacky."  I've seen too much code like
Mitchell> **p->*n->t

This IS pretty nasty.  However, C doesn't have to be "hacky", nor does
any other language.  "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link",
and a language is only as good as the programmer using it.

If your (objective "you") solution to a problem is hard to understand
without the language, then it will more than likely be even harder to
understand (and implement) within the scope of the language you use.
If the solution doesn't make sense in plain english, then it probably
won't be very pretty in code either.

Programming isn't just being able to think of an algorithm.  It's also
elegance in coding style and in logical organization of code.  So many
people seem to miss that last one.  My first paragraph says it all!

-wpr