turbo-C and lint ?

David Michael Shackelford dms at cs.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 21 05:38:41 AEST 1990

In article <1964 at bruce.OZ>, alanf at bruce.OZ (Alan Grant Finlay) writes:
> I was surprised to discover that the Turbo-C package does not come with a lint
> program.  Specifically I want to have the ability to automatically check for
> procedure argument type consistency.  When in the past I have complained to
> C advocates that C compilers don't check for consistent use of parameters they
> have usually replied "that's what lint is for!".  Is it really acceptable for
> a commercial compiler package to come supplied without an essential part or
> have I missed something in the package that does the same job?
>
> Also does anyone know if there are any public domain lints available that will
> work with Turbo-C source?

I use Turbo-C's extended function prototype syntax and it checks for parameter
type compatibility at the function calls.  There might be an option in the
compiler/warnings menu to cause it to give the message when types dont match.
I compile with all error and warning messages enabled.

As for the lint package, I don't know of any.  Maybe someone else has an idea..

There might be a portability problem with using Turbo's extended prototypes,
so if you're planning on porting, beware...