A note for those not consumed by efficiency worries

Mike Harrison mph at lion.inmos.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 22:59:53 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar22.072712.10902 at diku.dk> jensting at skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:
>sullivan at aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>Quite right. I always repeat to myself, whenever I'm urged to do an
>unmotivated source code ``optimisation'',
>
>	MAKE THE THING WORK, THEN MAKE IT FAST.

The formulation of this rule that I always use is:

"It is easier to make a correct, slow program run fast than to make a fast,
wrong program run right".

On the subject of rules, I once saw this one in a book:

  "The first law of system design :

       Never check for an error condition that you don't know how to handle!"

This sounds like the fruit of bitter experience.

Mike,

Michael P. Harrison - Software Group - Inmos Ltd. UK.