C Community's Cavalier Attitude On Software Reliability

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.uu.net
Wed Mar 7 00:45:10 AEST 1990

In <16085 at haddock.ima.isc.com> Karl Heuer wrote:
> In article <8230 at hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu at hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
> >    1) Unix.  (Example: the problem in which the double-length password
> >                        was used by an intruder to bypass security, taking
> >                        advantage of C's lack of boundary checking)
>
> Every instance that I can think of where a password is required, getpass() is
> used.  This routine does its own bounds-checking.  I don't suppose you have
> any more data about this incident?

This sounds like a somewhat garbled description of a known hole in SunOS. As
Sun still hasn't fixed it, I shall say no more about it here. E-mail inquiries
from root or anyone whose name I can instantly recognize as a Good Guy will be
answered in more detail.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric at snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)