popen()

Roy M. Silvernail roy at comcon.UUCP
Mon Mar 5 21:38:20 AEST 1990

In article <21231 at netnews.upenn.edu>, dowding at linc.cis.upenn.edu (John Dowding) writes:
| In article <25F00B67.17161 at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
| >
| >   And, of course, this will take up disk space while your program is
| >running.
|
| If you write write the temp file to a ram disk, won't this give you
| nearly the same effect as the UNIX pipe?
|
| John Dowding
| dowding at linc.cis.upenn.edu

Nearly the same, as long as the temp file doesn't outrun the bounds of
your ramdisk.

I can't tell from experience, 'cause my wimpy litle machine only has
640k, which leaves precious little room for a ramdisk.

--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"