C style peeve

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Mar 18 10:58:33 AEST 1990

In article <2205 at osc.COM> jgk at osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes:
>Here's my biggest C style peeve.  For some reason, many C programmers insist
>on always putting parentheses around return values...
>So why do people do this? ...

Partly because it used to be required, long ago, and partly because most
of the other C control structures that contain expressions still require it
and so people are used to it.  There might also be some PL/I influence on
some of the newcomers.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu