6502 Code Generating Compiler

scott at max.u.washington.edu scott at max.u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 23 11:49:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar21.154355.3310 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>, palmerc at ingr.com (Chris Palmer) writes:
> Hi, I'm looking for a compiler (preferably 'c') that generateds 6502/6510
> assembly language.  I really don't care what language it is.  I am working
> on a Commodore 64 programming project for my wife, and I don't want to spend
> big bucks buying a compiler.  I writing right now in assembly language using
> a public domain 6502 assembler, which works great, but I would rather have
> a higher level language to work with.
>
> In conclusion,
> WANTED:               A compiler that generates 6502/6510 assembly language.

Your request is rather unusual one (or it is just that I misunderstood it).
If you are looking for a compiler (of any language) that generates assembly
language, well i haven't see any that does that. All the compilers that
I have seen generates runnable machine language. I guess
you are looking for a compiler that generates assembly language inorder
to study the assembly codes generated and incorporate them into the
assembly-language-program that you were already working on, well... this
this wouldn't be a good idea (unless what you were trying to do is just
too complex to program it directly in assembly language) since the
assembly code generated by a compiler (if there is such compiler) is hard
to follow and inefficient.
Having said all these..... although there isn't a compiler for the C64
(if not for all computers) that generates assembly language, there is
a way to do what (I think) you want to do.
Since there isn't a compiler that generates assembly language directly,
what we need is another program that can generate assembly language from the
machine language generated by the compiler (does this makes since :-) ).
And there is such program. It is called "codegen.sda", and it is already
available in some of the FTP-sites that support the C64. The assembly
code generated is compatible with the "mlass" assembler also available
from the same FTP-site.

Having said all, all these....If you were just tired of programming in
tidious assembly language and were merely looking for a good PD complier
for the C64, well I can tell you of two and they are already
available in the FTP-sites. One is called "BlazinForth". This is a fully
impremented Forth-83 (or was it 87?) compiler. Another one is "Blitz". This
a compiler for BASIC.
For C and Pascal compilers, I only know of commercial ones, and they
cost around $45.

I hope this was of help......

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen