Invalid analogy

Tony Sanders sanders at sanders.austin.ibm.com
Sat Mar 10 03:20:25 AEST 1990

In article <8222 at hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu at hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>   Notice: "similar flow-of-control constructs".  Both the case and
>   the if statements execute different sections of code depending on
>   the value of a controlling expression.  A loop is a flow-of-control
>   construct, but not one which is similar to the if or case constructs,
>   which are so closely related that one is a special case of the other.
Give me a break! (sorry, couldn't resist :-)

I make my living programming in C so I fail to see how evil and
corrupting the C programming language is.  If you make a living
programming in ADA that is just fine.  Someday, I might use ADA if I
think it is the best language for the project I'm working on at that
time.

BUT!
Please don't go around slamming some other language based on the fact
that you think that your language of choice is the ONLY programming
language that anyone should use, and then proceed to conclude that
(all/some) C programmers can't possibly write good code because their
language has to have a break statement at the end of a case.  Take it
to alt.religion.computers (where it belongs anyway) and then I'll be
happy to argue day in and day out on endlessly tiny details and nuances
of programming in each of the respective languages (see my followup line).

Simply put: ADA is not the end all of programming languages and neither
is C, both have advantages and disadvantages.  Learn them and they will
serve you well.

-- sanders                The 11th commandment: "Thou shalt use lint"
For every message of the day, a new improved message will arise to overcome it.