Enumerated types... what's the point?

Michael T. Sullivan sullivan at aqdata.uucp
Sat Mar 24 09:45:09 AEST 1990

I missed the beginning of this discussion so forgive me if this has
been gone over but has anybody mentioned the assignment of clashing
enum variables?  For instance:

typedef enum { red, green, brown, yellow } colors;
typedef enum { huey, dewey, louie } ducks;

main()
{
colors	a;
ducks	b;

	a = red;
	b = huey;
	a = 1
	a = b;
}

produces a compiler error at "a = 1" and "a = b".  This makes sure people
can't make an end run around the values a given variable should have,
which they could easily do if #define's were used for the values.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan at aqdata.uucp
San Dimas, CA             +1 714 599 9992