6502 Code Generating Compiler

Derek R. Foster dfoster at jarthur.Claremont.EDU
Sun Mar 25 07:55:15 AEST 1990

In article <13494.2609101e at max.u.washington.edu> scott at max.u.washington.edu writes:
>In article <1990Mar21.154355.3310 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>, palmerc at ingr.com (Chris Palmer) writes:
>>Hi, I'm looking for a compiler (preferably 'c') that generateds 6502/6510
>>assembly language.  I really don't care what language it is.  I am working
>
>Your request is rather unusual one (or it is just that I misunderstood it).
>If you are looking for a compiler (of any language) that generates assembly
>language, well i haven't see any that does that. All the compilers that
>I have seen generates runnable machine language.

This probably won't help the original poster much, but there certainly
do exist compilers that generate assembly code. The Turbo C
COMMAND-LINE compiler (supplied with the integrated development environment)
will do this if you ask it to. I suspect that others
will as well. The generated code is a little inefficient, yes, but that's
only a problem if you are in a tight spot as far as efficiency is
concerned. It's not all that hard to follow. To the original poster:
keep looking! There are so many different programs available for 6502
computers that SOMEBODY must have written one. This may not be the best
newsgroup to ask for that sort of info. Is there a comp.sys.c64 or something?

Derek Riippa Foster