Nested Comments in C -- A recent experience

Richard O'keefe ok at goanna.oz.au
Mon Mar 19 09:15:06 AEST 1990

In article <9631 at wpi.wpi.edu>, msau at wpi.wpi.edu (Matt Saucier) writes:
> But who EVER ports C code while debugging?

Anybody in his or her right mind who has the opportunity.
The right time to make your code portable is when you are writing it
the first time, and a lot of bugs (like, dare I say it, 0/nil problems
and of course dereferencing nil) tend to show up on one system but not
another.  Don't forget, different compilers tend to be picky about
different things.

> I don't think ANYONE would be foolish enough to leave nested comments in
> a completed, running program.
So trusting...  I have a bridge you might be interested in...
> Just because a compiler offers an
> extra FEATURE doesn't mean that it's not a C compiler - it's just helpful.

The point is that in the mode where it supports this "feature" the language
it is compiling is not C.  Such a compiler may have a mode in which the
language it compiles _IS_ C and in _that_ mode it is a C compiler.