Ada Short Topics

Kevin D. Quitt kdq at demott.COM
Wed Mar 7 02:59:21 AEST 1990

In article <19440 at grebyn.com> ted at grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:
>Exercise in Logic
>
>From another poster whose name I am, mercifully, withholding:
>>"C is wrong for the world because a spaceship once fucked up due to a
>>'Do i=1.50 .....' type statement in a FORTRAN program"
>
>Aside from showing a lack of basic reasoning ability on the author's
>part, there are two problems with this one:
>
>        1.  The C equivalent ('for(i=0;i<5.i++') would be caught
>        instantly, at least by Turbo C or any reasonable DOS C compiler,
>        and I assume UNIX C compilers will all soon function similarly,
>        and the cursor brought immediately back to the error in
>        question.
>
>        2.  Man doesn't belong in outer space.  If Mars or Venus were
>        made of diamonds, you couldn't bring them back and do aught but
>        lose money.

    While I agree with point 1, and even though this isn't the space
group (no matter what Bill Wolfe thinks), item #2 is just dead wrong.
Space is the only thing this government's done that's earned more money
than was spent.

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975