ADA/C Flame wars

Jens Tingleff jensting at skinfaxe.diku.dk
Tue Mar 27 04:44:17 AEST 1990

cspw.rures at p0.f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org (cspw rures) writes:

>I can't resist adding to the sterile ADA/C flame war.
>
>Neither of the languages can guarantee even the most fundamental
>algebraic properties about their expressions: e.g. that
>     f(x) + f(x)
>is always the same as
>     2 * f(x)
>and that
>     f(x) + g(x)
>is always the same as
>     g(x) + f(x).

Gee, I wish I had a language that did this (that's the question
you wanted, isn't it ?, well I asked it !!). I guess you're trying
to make a statement about side-efects, because your next sentence is

>Imperative languages (any that permit re-assignment/side-effects
>into memory locations in a time-dependant way) are inherently
>"unsafe" and difficult to reason about formally.

Shure. You try writing to a file, a screen, a piece of paper
without any variable-alteration, and be sure to post an article
about it (without changing any variables, of course) ;^) .

	Jens

jensting at diku.dk is
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Research Assistent at DIKU
	Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O