C Community's Cavalier Attitude On Software Reliability

Jim Miller jamiller at hpcupt1.HP.COM
Sat Mar 10 10:02:06 AEST 1990

>> [Unix BUGS comments]
>> are honest indications of where problems may exist, and they do so
>> in language that can be enjoyed by the person reading the manual.
>
>   Under no circumstances should a DEFECTS section contain flippant
>   comments such as "I tinker a lot, so things break, but then I fix
>   them, hooray", "Not bloody likely", or other comments which indicate
>   a cavalier attitude toward software reliability.
>
>   DEFECTS sections exist for the purpose of listing known areas in
>   which an implementation does not correspond to the specification,
>   along with potential workarounds (if any) and the estimated date
>   of repair.  Now compare this with your typical Unix BUGS section.
>
>   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe at hubcap.clemson.edu

.flame on
If you don't like the BUGS comments, don't read them, get some "real"
documentation instead.  This note is only 1/4 flippant.  Un*x documentation
looks like it is written by-for-and-to fun-(and work)-loving programmers.
If fun in your information bothers you, go elsewhere.  One reason I LIKE
the un*x community is because of the attitude you are attacking.  It is
written for programmers, not the rest of the world.  Other documentation is
being written for the rest.  People are making money informing the rest of
the world, especially  the various thought police who aggree with
the above "> " comments.
.flame off

   Jim - that's my ox you're goring - miller