hardcopy/productivity inverse correlation

JOHN HEIM heim at vms.macc.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 15 03:54:35 AEST 1990

In article <46 at resumix.UUCP> resumix!stevans at decwrl.dec.com (Mark Stevans) writes:
> I invite commentary and/or anecdotes for or against the following thesis:
> 	There is, in general, an inverse correlation between the amount of
> 	source code hardcopy a programmer employs and the productivity of
> 	that programmer.

I definately agree.  In fact I've advanced the same theory myself at
times.  I've seen *several* exceptions, great programmers who print
stuff alot (many times they're folks who first learned to program on a
teletype).  But the vast majority of people who I've seen who make
alot of code listings are poor programmers.   Mostly they print stuff
when they're in trouble and can't get a handle on what their own
program is doing (usually due to poor stucture).

The place I worked at before comming here, which had several excellent
programmers, didn't really even *have* a way to make code listings.

Of course, I'm one of those people who never make code listings so
maybe I'm just egotistical.
John G. Heim                                   Internet: heim at macc.wisc.edu
UW - Madison Academic Computing Center         Phone:    608-262-9887
1210 W. Dayton St.                             Fax:      608-262-4679
Madison, WI., 53706                            CIS:      71570,3712