Generating a demo version from production code

Karl Heuer karl at ima.isc.com
Sun Nov 18 11:40:32 AEST 1990

In article <6734 at uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny at minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
>Since I can't find a compiler flag that can create an object file with the
>name demo_smurf.o from a source named smurf.c, is that what I have to do?

No doubt someone is about to recommend "cc -c smurf.c -o demo_smurf.o" without
realizing that it's a non-portable Berkeleyism.  Yes, I recommend you use
"cc -c smurf.c && mv smurf.o demo_smurf.o".  Since this destroys any "smurf.o"
you already have, you may want to consider making the other target with
"cc -c smurf.c && mv smurf.o real_smurf.o" so there's no "smurf.o" target.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.isc.com or uunet!ima!karl), The Walking Lint