question about an array of enum

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Thu Nov 15 02:11:47 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov13.041806.10991 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Out of curiosity, Doug, can you find anywhere where the standard promises
>that the integer type *is* large enough to hold all those values?  I can't.
>That's "obviously" the intent, but it doesn't seem to have made it into
>the final document!

I recall somebody on X3J11 commenting on this at the last meeting.
It's the sort of thing that could use a firm interpretation ruling.
(I'm not sure that an implementation could make enums work according
to the spec if they were incapable of holding distinct representations
for all their members, but I don't have a proof ready.)