# to the nth power

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Tue Nov 13 00:43:06 AEST 1990

In article <4247 at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>: #define	Round( d )	floor( (d) + 0.5 )	/* requires <math.h> */
>I'm afraid it's not that trivial.  That doesn't provide the preferred
>round-to-even-when-there-is-a-tie.

It won't matter in any reasonable application.

>The Base Document didn't specify fsetpos() either,
>but that didn't stop ANSI filling in a nasty gap.

It's not clear that it's a particularly pressing need.
I would MUCH rather have had a mathematically correct mod function;
there are something like 4 similar C functions and operations, none
of them correctly providing a direct modulo capability.

>What's the NCEWG up to?  Are they likely to address this?

NCEG has several interests.  I haven't heard any major concern over
this particular topic.