long identifiers

John Stanley stanley at phoenix.com
Thu Nov 1 18:02:21 AEST 1990

jamiller at hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Jim Miller) writes:
> Ah, "qualitative"?
>    Do you want it to run on the most MACHINES?                 MS-DOS
>     <lots of Do you's deleted...>
>    Do you want it to run on a standard OS that all sellers agree on
>       the implementation?                                      MS-DOS

   Do you want it to run on a machine that isn't crippled by
	a 640k memory limit?					UNIX
   Do you want it to run on a machine that isn't crippled by
	a segmented architecture?				UNIX
   Do you want it to run on a machine that has a virtual memory
	limit of gigabytes?					UNIX
   Do you want it to run in a system where you can have real
	multi-user multi-tasking?				UNIX
   Do you want to run it on systems where the lowest common
	denomenator is a 4.7MHz, 8 bit, no graphics system?	MS-DOS

>       (sorry I couldn't resist that last poke).

	I couldn't either.

> I'm claiming you have picked a meaning of "qualitative" that is
> self serving.   *I* never pick my definitions that way :-)

   It just depends on what you consider 'quality'. Some have higher
standards than others.

"Arinth is a beautiful planet." "Oh, have you been there?"
  "Yes, but not yet." The Doctor. (TB)