hardcopy/productivity inverse correlation

Tom Reingold tr at samadams.princeton.edu
Fri Nov 30 05:28:00 AEST 1990

dmocsny at minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
$ No compiler should simultaneously permit (1) programs of more than
$ 20 lines and (2) undeclared variables.

In article <6785 at uceng.UC.EDU> schriste at uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V.
Christensen) writes:

$ I understand (2), but why (1)? There is a lady with whom I work who
$ insists on breaking up even the simplest procedure into many sub-procs
$ (this is FORTRAN). In combination with ridiculously long proc and variable
$ names, it makes it even harder to debug...

I am pretty sure Dan meant logical "and".  (There goes someone else
claiming to know what Dan meant.) In other words, no compiler should
allow both of these things at the same time.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr at samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr