Coding Standards. was: a style question

Dave Caswell dbc at bushido.uucp
Sun Nov 18 14:41:20 AEST 1990

.At Clear we have instituded a style standard which
.all our engineers follow.  This standard specifies how indenting
.should be done, how variables, functions and types should be named.
.I specifies that functions should have single entrance and single
.exit points, and that functions should not be much longer then
.one page.  It specifies a documentation style and demands that
.comments always be placed on closing braces.  etc. etc.

In my opinion anyone who wants to standardize simple formatting considerations
had better write a program to translate arbitrary code into that standard.

On the other hand rules like having a single entrance and exit point are good
ones.  They should be written down and strictly enforced.

David Caswell                             dbc%bushido.uucp at umich.edu