printing underlined text

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Thu Nov 15 02:07:53 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov13.074643.3107 at ericsson.se> epames at eos.ericsson.se writes:
>Secondly, I would advise against using backspace in any output to a dot
>matrix printer, it causes the buffer to be printed and this can
>significantly slow down the printer.

It's a good idea to filter output through an "overstrike" filter on its
way to a line printer (or in this case dot-matrix printer).  BRL's MDQS
queueing system's line printer server invokes a copyn() function that
takes care of this.  (Based on an earlier implementation by John
Quarterman.)  MDQS is available via anonymous FTP from VGR.BRL.MIL.