DOS Extender/Heap Manager

Moshe Raab raab at novavax.UUCP
Thu Nov 8 12:18:47 AEST 1990

I am developing a program (to run under DOS) that uses third party
libraries (C-scape, Paradox and Metawindows). Because of the nature of
what I am doing and of the libraries I have run out of conventional
memory (I estimate that I need about 500K of conventional RAM just for
data). I have looked at several options:

1) RTLINK plus: this overlay linker really helps only in the code area.
it does not virtualize any data segements. virtualizing third party
libraries is not always possible.

2) Rational Systems DOS/16M. this is a "DOS Extender". By switching to
protected mode, all of memory is addressable and the 640K boundary goes
away. I am pretty sure that this is what I will need, but i can't afford
the $5000 (starting) price tag.

3) Coding for EMS support. Since almost all of the memory is being used
by the third party libraries, I have no control of the memory
allocation.
I am looking for suggestions on how to solve this problem. If    there are
reasonably priced packages, heap managers or other tips that you may
know about I would appreciate if you could let me know.

Thank you very much.

Moshe Raab

raab at novavax