Binary data file compatibility across machines

Dale Cook cdm at gem-hy.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Nov 27 07:58:19 AEST 1990

In article <prk.659625326 at pegasus>, prk at planet.bt.co.uk (KnightRider) writes:
|> stiber at cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) writes:
|>
|> The short, easy, answer is yes - Use the facilities provided by the
|> presentation layer services provided by your communications system,
|> if you have one.  For OSI systems this will ASN.1 -Abstract Syntax
|> Notation 1.  If you use Sun systems, you may be able to use XDR
|> -External Data Representation.
|>
|> However, these are difficult services to encode, usually, so you may
|> want to go to an external vendor to support these.

XDR libraries exist on a host of UNIX environments (VAX, Cray, and MASSCOMP
to name a few), and they're not that hard to use.  I believe Sun developed
the standard.

---Dale Cook    cdm at inel.gov
========== long legal disclaimer follows, press n to skip ===========
^L
Neither the United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering
Laboratory or any of their employees, makes any warranty, whatsoever,
implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility regarding any
information, disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe
privately owned rights.  No specific reference constitutes or implies
endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory.  The views and
opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the
United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory,
and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.