Fortran vs. C for numerical work (SUMMARY)

chiba khb at chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Nov 28 05:22:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov27.175023.26039 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

   >I think that ANSI C has a method by which compilers may make sin, cos
   >etc intrinsic, but I don't remember how it works...

   It's really very simple:  they are allowed to be intrinsic, essentially.
   There is no complexity or mystery.  C and Fortran are no longer different
   in this regard, except insofar as the Fortran libraries are larger.

But in ANSI C one is still stuck with ERRNO which makes computing
things out of order, and/or at the same time, far more entertaining
and challenging.