The Ten Commandments for C Programmers (Annotated Edition)

Tom Horsley tom at ssd.csd.harris.com
Mon Nov 5 23:22:20 AEST 1990

>>>>> Regarding The Ten Commandments for C Programmers (Annotated Edition); henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) adds:

henry> Thy external identifiers shall be unique in the first six characters,
henry> though this harsh discipline be irksome and the years of its
henry> necessity stretch before thee seemingly without end, lest thou tear
henry> thy hair out and go mad on that fateful day when thou desirest to
henry> make thy program run on an old system.

henry> Though some hasty zealots cry ``not so; the Millenium is come, and
henry> this saying is obsolete and no longer need be supported'', verily
henry> there be many, many ancient systems in the world, and it is the
henry> decree of the dreaded god Murphy that thy next employment just might
henry> be on one.  While thou sleepest, he plotteth against thee.  Awake and
henry> take care.

Not true. I have freedom of choice. I can refuse to work on systems so brain
dead they only support 6 character externals, and I urge all other
programmers to make the same choice.

Boycott stupid linkers! Death to the wielders of stone knives and bearskins!
Computers should be useful tools, not millstones around the necks of
programmers.
domain: tahorsley at csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |