scope of malloc

Walter Bright bright at nazgul.UUCP
Tue Nov 20 15:15:45 AEST 1990

/I guess with a little help from a god, writing a whole compiler to handle
/one routine can be considered "reasonable," but most of us don't necessarily
/think so (this coming from someone who worked on compilers for quite a
/while).

I write compilers for a living (Zortech's). I implemented alloca() as a
compiler intrinsic in a few hours, including a test suite for it. Mostly
it consisted of setting a flag telling the code generator to always do
a full stack frame for that function.

Most people tell me I'm conceited, but I didn't think that implementation
of alloca() was that godlike! :-) I always think of setting flags that
perturb the code generator as a kludge to be avoided.

Maybe it was that Coca-Cola induced euphoria :-)