NULL pointer problem on SUN

Gary Mills mills at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Sun Nov 11 10:00:33 AEST 1990

In <1255 at digi.lonestar.org> theruska at digi.lonestar.org (Thomas Heruska) writes:

>I believe that the problem occurs due to the fact strtok returns a NULL
>pointer when it encounters the end of the string it is parsing.  I am trying
>to copy this NULL pointer to another string and check that string for the NULL.

You have a serious misconception about NULL.  A NULL pointer does not point to
a null character.  In fact, a NULL pointer does not point at all.  Neither is
a NULL pointer the same as a null string.  When you have a pointer that you
suspect may be NULL, you must test the pointer before referring to the object
at which the pointer points.  This way should work on all the machines:

   char token[50];
   char mesg[50];
   char *ptr;

   strcpy(mesg," \0");

   ptr = strtok(mesg," \0");
   if ( ptr != NULL ) {
       strcpy(token, ptr);
       .
       .
       .

--
-Gary Mills-         -Networking Group-          -U of M Computer Services-