Self-documenting source code

Jim Miller jamiller at hpcupt1.cup.hp.com
Thu Nov 15 07:51:14 AEST 1990

>Is anyone aware of any packages or systems which extract documentation
>for use in troff-format man pages or latex documents directly from the
>C source code?
>
>I am thinking along the lines of a token based system of embedding keywords
>into comments which are extracted some sort of parser.
>
>One use would be to extract descriptions and prototypes for library functions.
>It would be a lot easier to ensure that the documentation is up to date if
>it is kept close to the actual code.
>
>Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Greg Galloway
>Georgia Institute of Technology

awk (or nawk) is a very useful package that will do what you want :-)

Really, very little work is needed, and you can improve it as you wish.

   jim miller
   jamiller at hpmpeb7.cup.hp.com
   (a.k.a James A. Miller; Jim the JAM; stupid; @!?$$!; ... )
   Anything I say will be used against me ...
   But my company doesn't know or approve or condone anything of mine here.