Coding Standards.

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Thu Nov 29 04:21:30 AEST 1990

According to rmartin at clear.com (Bob Martin):
>At Clear we have instituted a style standard which [...]
>demands that comments always be placed on closing braces.
>[...]
>The convention is "demanded" because it is cheap, easy, has very
>few down-sides, and the _possibility_ of significant up-sides.

I'd say that the down side of this rule includes two problems which
are (to me) very significant: such comments clutter the code and they
make commentary a very low-level syntactical entity.

In my opinion, mandatory comments on *syntactic* grounds are likely to
lead to worse-than-nothing garbage like "++x; /* add one to x */" as
programmers fill in just anything to comply with the standard.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed