Tentative specification for UNIX Version 7 C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed Nov 7 21:00:43 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct29.190452.24098 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> ccplumb at spurge.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) writes:
>In article <14270 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>> A large number of the world's most experienced experts in
>> the use and implementation of the C programming language have finally
>> produced the first genuine, officially sanctioned standard for C; use
>> it and be happy.
>The computer is your friend.  The computer wants you to be happy.  If
>you are not happy, you may be used as reactor shielding.

I don't know about reactor shielding, but this does give me the opportunity
to add something important I left out of my previous posting:

There were three extensive public reviews of the draft proposed C standard,
leading to numerous improvements in the final version.  I doubt that any
attempt at such a standard without a similar amount of public review could
possibly balance the large variety of conflicting demands on the language.