Finding Available Length Of Strings...

Karl Heuer karl at ima.isc.com
Sat Nov 10 05:39:57 AEST 1990

In article <16758 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4512c at prism.gatech.EDU (BRADBERRY,JOHN L) writes:
>Just a note of clarification here...I am talking about a character array
>and I am looking for a solution (not the obvious '...add another length
>parameter')...I would like the function to be able to 'figure it out!'

Here are the options that spring to mind:
(a) Pass a length parameter.
(b) Pass a pointer to the end of the string.
(c) Implement a string structure that does one of the above for you, e.g.
    typedef struct { char *start; char *current; char *end; } string_t;
(d) Use only implementations that support the "Read Operator's Mind" syscall.

Next question?

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.isc.com or uunet!ima!karl), The Walking Lint