Compiler bug or gray area in C?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Fri Nov 30 07:05:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov29.021553.12522 at ingres.Ingres.COM> jeff at ingres.com (Jeff Anton) writes:
>The issue is the legality of compilers extending the precision of
>variable when they are placed in registers.

In many environments there is no choice; floating registers simply ARE
wider than floating storage.

The issue of exactly when an implementation is obliged to "scrape off"
the extra precision is still open in X3J11, if I recall correctly.  One
might think that any cast or assignment should do this, but there are
arguments why that isn't always desirable.  At this point there is a C
standard and it is "just" a matter of interpreting what requirements, if
any, it imposes in this area.  There should be an official interpretation
ruling on this sometime..