is (int (*)())NULL legal when NULL is (void *)0?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Fri Nov 16 08:42:02 AEST 1990

In article <13870 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> volpe at camelback.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) writes:
>If the above is not true, then where in the standard does it say that
>an implementation must support casting an int into a float?

Conversions involving pointers have an explicit set of requirements
in 3.3.4 beyond the basic semantics.  The basic semantics suffice for
interconversion of arithmetic values; 3.2.1.3 gives details.

>Both *conversions* are supported, if done via assignment operators.

I can't parse that.

Certain license beyond 3.3.4 is granted in 3.3.16.1 for assignment
involving certain pointers that meet the constraints of 3.3.16.1.

If you have further questions about this, I suggest you send X3 a request
for an interpretation ruling.  Possibilities for misunderstanding are
limitless, and I really cannot spend much more time on this than I
already have.  I think the standard is clear on this.