availability of ANSI-conformant compilers

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Fri Nov 16 21:03:24 AEST 1990

In article <16440 at csli.Stanford.EDU> poser at csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) writes:
>Are compiler producers ANSI-fying their compilers rapidly?

Not all that rapidly; I expect to encounter environments without
standard conforming C implementations for the next few years yet.
The problem is worst for obsolete CPU product lines, for which
there is little economic incentive for the vendors to modernize
the support software.  I think three of our five major mini
vendors probably fall into that category.  Consequently, I key
on the __STDC__ preprocessing macro and include code for both
standard-C and UNIX-pcc environments.  This works fairly well
and could be done more spiffily than I usually bother to do it.