What's so bad about scanf anyway??? (really what's bad about gets)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
Fri Nov 23 16:52:37 AEST 1990

I wrote
 Let <EOF> represent your end-of-file character on a UNIX system

In article <1990Nov22.071319.3222 at ericsson.se>, epames at eos.ericsson.se (Michael Salmon) writes:
> ^D is *NOT* an eof character, it is a command to the tty driver ...

With the utmost possible respect, may I suggest that since the context
was "UNIX system"s, we take the UNIX manuals as authoritative?  From
"man 7 termio":
          Normally, terminal input is processed in units of lines.  A
          line is delimited by a new-line (ASCII LF) character, an
          end-of-file (ASCII EOT) character, or an end-of-line
          character.

The SVID release 2 has the same text, and speaks of
	The ERASE, KILL, and EOF characters ...

So when I wrote of an "end-of-file character" I was using *precisely*
the terminology blessed by the SVID, which nowhere calls it a "command".
--
I am not now and never have been a member of Mensa.		-- Ariadne.