question about an array of enum

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:18:06 AEST 1990

In article <14401 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Does the standard really allow a different choice to be made for different
>>enumerations?
>
>Yes.  In fact it might be nice to allot only as large an integer type as is
>needed to hold all valid values (enumeration constant values for the type).

Out of curiosity, Doug, can you find anywhere where the standard promises
that the integer type *is* large enough to hold all those values?  I can't.
That's "obviously" the intent, but it doesn't seem to have made it into
the final document!
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry