Unix and C

Dave Caswell dbc at bushido.uucp
Sat Nov 10 23:46:55 AEST 1990

.>>>How can Unix be written in C ? I thought all OS`s had to be written
.>>>in assembly language, else they'd have the same interrupts as the
.>>>OS you booted your complier language under to write the program ?
.>
.>>Yes ... Why and how can UNIX be written in C?  I'd also like to know.
.>
.>Why?  Because it makes it very portable.  Any machine that has a C
.>compiler and a few kernal routines (actually a fair number) can run Unix
.>fairly easily.  If Unix were written in assembly, it would have to be
.>completely rewritten for every new computer it runs on.

Unless of course it was written in 386 assembler.  It's portable.

David Caswell                             dbc%bushido.uucp at umich.edu