Functions returning Error codes or actual info

Maurice Hill mhill at fiveliter.EBay.Sun.COM
Wed Sep 12 06:47:48 AEST 1990

flaps at dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

>vrm at cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) writes:
>>   I am making a set of functions which return different types of
>>values: strings, integers, doublec, etc.  For example:
>>          char *get_string();
>>However, I would also like the function to return an error code if the
>>function fails.  I cannot just return a NULL pointer because I want
>>the function to be the same as all of the other get_xxx's.

Perhaps you could implement a different error strategy.  Instead of
returning an error code, set a global such as is done with errno.

Errno is an index into an array of predefined error messages.  You can
access the list yourself or uce the function `error("msg") to print out
your msg plus the error message that corresponds to errno.