Fortran Main with C I/O

Joe Dellinger joe at hanauma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Sep 20 08:40:42 AEST 1990

	Our basic research software consists of mostly Fortran "main" programs
linked in with libraries mostly written in C. We use the C libraries
exclusively to do all I/O.

	This has worked fine on many different UNIX systems for years.
We just got the latest OS upgrade, which is the first one to be
"POSIX-compliant". Now we are told "if you want to be able to use C I/O
you'll have to have your mains in C"! This means rewriting a LOT of software.

	OK. Are we really a special case? Is there anybody else out there
that writes Fortran mains but uses C to do the I/O? If so, let me know, so
we can make a case to them not to do this!
 \  /  \  /  \  /Dept of Geophysics, Stanford University \/\/\.-.-....___
  \/    \/    \/Joe Dellinger joe at hanauma.stanford.edu  apple!hanauma!joe\/\.-._
************** Reading News again, when I should be writing my thesis... *******