A tool which can intelligently augment C source

Scott Luebking scottl at mercury.sybase.com
Tue Sep 25 08:44:06 AEST 1990

We were wondering if anyone knows of a tool which can intelligently
augment C source files.  One thing we would like the tool to do
is add arbitrary function calls to the beginning of functions, regardless of
pre-processor, formatting or declaration considerations, e.g.,:

foo()				foo()
{           			{
   declarations			   declarations
      .				       .
      .				       .
      .				       .
   statements			    NEW_FUNCTION("foo");
				    statements

Another thing would be to preceed return statements with functions, e.g.:

     return some_expression	FLAG_RETURN("foo",(long) (some_expression));
				return some_expression

without worrying about 'return' in comments.

Since we work with a wide range of platforms, it would be very helpful
that the tool be very portable.  Has anyone heard of a tool like this?

Thanks very much
Scott Luebking
{mtxinu,sun,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!scottl
scottl at sybase.com