Ambiguities

Charudutta S. Palkar csp at gtenmc.UUCP
Wed Sep 12 04:03:25 AEST 1990

>In article <861 at gtenmc.UUCP> you write:
>
>>	 b )      a = a - ( b = ( a = a + b ) - b );
>                      ^
>??? Is there any way you can guarantee the value of the marker 'a'?
>It could have (a) the value of 'a' immediately before the statement
>is executed, or (b) the value generated by innermost (a = a + b).
>
>>	 b )     a = a ^ ( b = b ^ ( a = a ^ b ));
>
>Same problem here.
>
>Anders Thulin       ath at prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath

   I am aware of this , but the point I would like to raise :-

   Does C mention , which instance of the variable should be used ,
   while evaluating the expression. If neither K&R C or ANSI C
   specify it. I propose that such a standard be set, for one
   it will help removing ambiguities of evaluation ( implementation
   dependencies ).

   Some may get the impression I am for cryptic code. No I am not
   for cryptic code but for use of the language with all its features.
   If some programmers cannot use its features they might as well
   stop using it.

   C S Palkar

   csp - csp at gtenmc.gtetele.com
	 csp at gtenmc.UUCP