Catching ^C and ^Z

Neil Weisenfeld weisen at eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 10 04:26:13 AEST 1990

In article <439 at mole-end.UUCP>, mat at mole-end (Mark A Terribile) writes:
>> > [I wanna write a lockscreen.]
>
>> weisen at eniac.seas.upenn.edu:
>> > Under BSD, you should be able to do something like:
>> >        signal(SIGINT,SIG_IGN);
>> >        signal(SIGQUIT,SIG_IGN);
>> > to IGNore the signals.
>
>> SunOS signal(3):
>> > SIGKILL   9    kill (cannot be caught, blocked, or ignored)
>> > SIGSTOP   17   stop (cannot be caught, blocked, or ignored)
>
>> Therein lies the incentive to capture the characters before a shell can see
>> them.

[stuff deleted about ^C not generating SIGINT and ^Z not generating SIGSTOP]

How does my name keep ending up at the top of a message with a whole
bunch of leading >>>>'s?  What happened to the names of the people who
actually wrote that stuff?  The only part of this mess that was written
by me is the part about SIGINT and SIGQUIT.  Also, according to the
man page for SIGNAL(3), SIGSTOP is not generated from the keyboard,
SIGTSTP is!

Neil

P.S. -- Please stop misquoting me:  The text after the SunOS signal(3) is NOT
WHAT I PUT THERE...arrrgh!