Fortran Main with C I/O

Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages khb at chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Sep 24 10:46:37 AEST 1990

>apparently the Fortran I/O model mismatches these machines and/or

Unix f77 I/O is often bad performance wise, but this is due to
history, not technical inevitability.

Converting a fortran main to a C main to ensure the right I/O
environment usually is not that hard. Just cobble up a virtually empty
C main which calls Fmain (which is your real program, written in
fortran).

I would hazard to guess that with appropriate library/loader munging
you might be able to avoid this slight of hand. Personally, I prefer
to modify the source code for maxiumum portability ... but I recognize
that it may be easier/more expiedient to alter the environment.