Assignment in test: OK?

Mark Lawrence mark at DRD.Com
Thu Sep 6 04:54:51 AEST 1990

I have a proclivity to code like the following:

   if( (status = FuncCall(foo, bar, gex)) < SomeValue)
	   GripeAboutIt();

or variations thereof.  When I run saber on such code, it babbles a
warning about the assignment in the test.  Being the gullible naif I am,
I worry when a heavy duty tool like Saber complains about something.  Is this
practice considered kosher by those in the know?  Why or why not?
--
mark at DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B