C + Make

Jeffrey T. Hutzelman jh4o+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 17 04:39:25 AEST 1990

Chris Torek at mimsy.umd.ed writes:

> (Too, it has the drawback of requiring that there be room in every
> output file for the information needed by `make', or else that output
> files come in pairs: foo.o and .depend.foo.o, or some such.  Which is
> `better' is to some extent a matter of taste.  One can argue that every
> `object' file should in fact be a directory: foo.o/text, foo.o/data,
> foo.o/symbols, foo.o/debug, foo.o/depend....  Let the file system work
> for you.)

On a non-unix system, I use a derivation of this mechanism regularly.  I
create a driectory OBJECTS (not a case-sensitive filesystem) in which
all my objects are placed.  So my makefile looks somethng like this:

objects/foo1.o : foo1.c foo1.h
	cc foo1.c keep=objects/foo1

objects/foo2.o : foo2.c foo2.h
	cc foo2.c keep=objects/foo2

objects/foo3.o : foo3.c foo3.h
	cc foo3.c keep=objects/foo3

foo : objects
	link objects/* keep=foo

and the last line does all the work for me.
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+ at andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz at drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu